We air dash, double jump and float out of harm’s way in Ori and the Blind Forest.
Developer: Moon Studios | Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios | Release Date: March 11, 2015
Mike, Jacob and special guest Nick O’Hagan-Wong get caressed by the game’s wonderful art and music, died over a thousand times collectively and enter the Left Behind Quiz Corner for the first time. Do they exit? Listen to the end to find out!
Join our Discord server! Go to LeftBehindGame.Club and scroll down to the Discord section of the homepage! If you love the show, please consider a review on iTunes. It helps a lot.
Players: Michael Ruffolo (@ruffolom) and Jacob McCourt (@JacobMcCourt)
Special Guest: Nick O’Hagan-Wong
Website: LeftBehindGame.Club | Twitter: @LeftBehindClub | Instagram: @LeftBehindGameClub
Show Notes (spoilers):
- 2:00 What is a Metroidvania game?
- 3:00 The Rabbids invade the Left Behind Game Club
- 3:20 The story of Ori and the Blind Forest and the name game
- 5:55 Ori is Jesus and Sein is the Holy Spirit?
- 6:40 The upgrade tree
- 8:25 Who died the most through their playthrough?
- 10:45 How about that jump?
- 11:55 Jacob shares Alex Newhouse’s description of Ori and the Blind Forest
- 12:35 Airborn Studios does stuff for everyone [Twitter]
- 13:40 The crew talks about their favourite upgrades
- 16:25 The gravity puzzles
- 19:55 Using Soul Links well
- 21:35 A Dark Souls comparison and other Metroidvania games
- 23:45 This game looks so good.
- 26:05 “Jacob’s gonna hate this.”
- 29:20 What about the story and the characters?
- 32:15 A Legend of Zelda connection?
- 33:15 The game’s language
- 34:05 Jacob brings in Home Alone 2 (somehow)
- 35:25 Nick got fired up by the difficulty
- 38:05 Mount Horu was tough
- 42:00 Escaping Kuro again and the final sequence of the game
- 46:00 The crew enters the Left Behind Quiz Corner
- 49:20 Our final thoughts about Ori and the Blind Forest
- 50:40 The podcast was nominated for three awards at the Canadian Podcast Awards!