We experience John Hughes’ version of Goosebumps in Oxenfree.
Developer: Night School Studios | Publisher: Night School Studios | Initial Release: January 15, 2016
Jacob, Mike, Moe and special guest Kam Konek from the New Entertainment System Podcast try and remember what it’s like to be a rebellious teen, explore a cool/freaky deserted island and talk a lot about fate.
Technical note: Mike knocked the cable out of his microphone partway through recording, so we are using a back-up for his track. The audio quality is a little bit lower than usual.
Special Guest: Kam Konek (@TheKamdyman)
- 2:00 Kam tells us about the New Entertainment System Podcast
- 3:15 Fast Pitch: Oxenfree Edition
- 4:55 What did you know about Oxenfree before we started recording?
- 6:55 What platforms did we play Oxenfree on?
- 7:35 What is the gameplay of Oxenfree?
- 9:40 Mike compares the game to Night in the Woods, Jacob compares the game to coming-of-age movies like Perks of Being a Wallflower and the Spectacular Now and Moe talks about Unity
- 11:55 The game’s characters
- 16:05 An explanation of the game’s multiple endings and “Clarissa [expletive] sucks”
- 18:10 The start of Oxenfree and Mike explains the dialogue/speech bubble system
- 22:25 The game’s big spooky twist [major spoilers start here]
- 25:45 Comparing Oxenfree to a VHS player
- 28:15 The game’s music and scenery were tranquil, but the lack of fast travel made Moe rage
- 30:45 The map is frustratingly hard to use
- 32:05 Bugs
- 34:45 What the heck is actually going on?
- 37:30 “What did you all think of the dialogue and writing?”
- 42:55 The game starts funnelling you towards the end of the game
- 50:00 We compares Oxenfree to Stranger Things and Interstellar
- 54:05 The final choice and time loops?
- 1:04:15 “Is leave possible”, New Game+ and the Oxenfree ARG (the ARG documentary that Jacob mentioned)
- 1:08:00 Other players entering your experience?
- 1:10:10 Mike brings up Nietzsche and Amor Fati… Moe brings up Frozen
- 1:17:00 We cap off the episode with some sound talk and our final thoughts
- 1:24:30 A solo version of the Left Behind Game Show and a blooper
Thank you to @jacobdekk, @storyeverpod and @LudonarrativeFM for the questions!
- A Short Hike w/ Jacob, Moe, Mike: April 15th
- The Last of Us w/ Jacob, Moe, Mike and Matt Storm (aka Stormageddon): April 29th
(NEW) LEAVE US A VOICEMAIL: If you want a chance to get your voice on the show, give us a call at (734) 489-9753 and tell us what you think about one of this month’s games! This is a U.S. number, long distance charges apply for international callers.
DISCORD: The Left Behind Game Club is a monthly game club podcast with a focus on positivity & community. To talk to members of the community, join our Discord server!
TIP JAR: If you’re feeling generous and love the show, we have a PayPal tip jar! Any funds raised will go towards hosting our site and paying for games and equipment as we look to bring you higher quality content every month.