We learn about the hard truths of World War I in Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Developer: Ubisoft Montpellier | Publisher: Ubisoft | Release Date: June 24, 2014
Jacob and special guests Travis Colenutt (his 6th appearance) and Katie Lesperance (her 1st appearance) solve tons of puzzles, trek around Europe and talk about the dogs of war.
The Left Behind Game Club is a monthly game club podcast with a focus on positivity & community. To talk to members of the community, join our Discord server! Go to LeftBehindGame.Club and scroll down to the Discord section of the homepage!
If you love the show, please consider a review on iTunes. It helps a lot.
Player: Jacob McCourt (@JacobMcCourt)
Special Guests: Travis Colenutt (@TravisColenutt) & Katie Lesperance (@lesperak)
Website: LeftBehindGame.Club | Twitter: @LeftBehindClub | Instagram: @LeftBehindGameClub
- 1:30 An introduction to Katie’s gaming preferences
- 2:40 What did we know about Valiant Hearts beforehand?
- 3:45 How did we play Valiant Heart: The Great War + our Switch impressions
- 5:15 How would you describe Valiant Hearts?
- 6:15 Katie shares her love of the The Curse of Monkey Island & LucasArt vs. Sierra adventure games
- 9:25 The opening of the game and the five main characters (Emile, Karl, Anna, Freddie and Walt)
- 11:25 World War 1 and video games
- 12:35 The game’s partnership with Apocalypse: World War I
- 15:15 Our big issue with the game: its “tonal whiplash” (spoilers begin at 16:20)
- 18:50 The unique mechanics for the five main characters
- 19:20 Katie is a nurse and she has an issue with Anna’s compressions
- 20:55 THERE’S A DOG… save the doggo!
- 22:35 Risking Walt’s life in front of a flamethrower
- 24:00 The Dogs of War and we all thought that Walt was going to die
- 27:25 Tons of block puzzles… did we like the puzzles?
- 29:45 Anna’s driving sections
- 30:30 We talk about UbiArt and compare the game to Scribblenauts and Castle Crashers
- 32:40 Were all of the puzzles logical?
- 33:55 Jacob compares the final boss to Metal Gear Solid 4
- 35:00 Travis struggled with his aim
- 37:50 The hint system
- 40:45 Jacob’s story book report and the final sequence of the game (The Nivelle Offensive)
- 45:15 How emotional did we get with the ending? Cold dead heart or a weeping, sopping mess?
- 51:15 The music fit the game perfectly
- 52:15 We fight about character and narrator accents (“some PBS narrator”)
- 58:00 Some of the cool “comic book-like” visual elements (Katie’s husband called it “trippy”)
- 59:55 Our final thoughts about Valiant Hearts + Jacob’s recommendation: The Lion’s Song
- 1:04:25 Please let us know if you know about Tintin in our Discord