We climb our family tree (literally and figuratively) in What Remains of Edith Finch.
Developer: Giant Sparrow | Publisher: Annapurna Interactive | Release Date: April 25, 2017
Jacob, Mike and Moe crawl through doggy doors, chase birds, swing and hide in bunkers.
Join our Discord server! Go to LeftBehindGame.Club and scroll down to the Discord section of the homepage! If you love the show, please consider a review on iTunes. It helps a lot.
Players: Jacob McCourt (@JacobMcCourt), Michael Ruffolo (@ruffolom) and Moe Murtadi (@mmurtadi)
Website: LeftBehindGame.Club | Twitter: @LeftBehindClub | Instagram: @LeftBehindGameClub
Show Notes (spoilers):
- 2:10 A warning about What Remains of Edith Finch
- 3:30 Moe makes a surprising proclamation about this game
- 4:10 What is a walking simulator?
- 6:15 Why are we playing What Remains of Edith Finch?
- 7:10 Jacob accidentally spoiled the game for Mike
- 9:40 The opening of What Remains of Edith Finch
- 11:50 The Finch’s house
- 13:40 Introduction to the game’s narrator, Edith Finch
- 15:20 Entering the house
- 17:10 Jacob brings up Matilda, The Curious Case Benjamin Button and The Pagemaster
- 18:30 We introduce the structure of the game and start with the story of Molly Finch
- 21:20 Cats, owls, sharks and sea monsters
- 26:30 The game’s toughest question
- 29:00 Odin Finch and the history of the Finch family
- 32:00 Calvin Finch
- 35:00 Barbara Finch
- 37:00 Moe compares this section to Telltale’s The Walking Dead and Jacob brings up XIII, Killer7 and Madworld
- 39:35 Walter Finch
- 43:30 Jacob compares this section to the Beginner’s Guide
- 44:00 We looked down
- 46:10 Sam Finch
- 51:45 Gregory Finch
- 54:30 Gus Finch
- 57:00 Milton Finch
- 59:20 Mike connects this game to Unfinished Swan
- 1:00:35 Lewis Finch
- 1:08:00 Content warning (suicide and self-harm)
- 1:09:45 End of content warning
- 1:10:05 The beginning of the end (of the story)
- 1:13:30 Wait… who is Edith talking to?
- 1:15:15 Jacob… the game has to come full circle!
- 1:17:00 Moe brings it back to Lord of the Rings
- 1:17:45 The crew wraps it up
- 1:21:00 A question from the Ludonarrative Podcast
- 1:25:05 We announce our next game: Superhot
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS | More
Join the discussion One Comment
[…] 34:10 Storytelling in the environment (with a What Remains of Edith Finch callback) […]