We raid some tombs and discover our inner Lara Croft in Tomb Raider (2013).
Developer: Crystal Dynamics with Eidos Montreal (Multiplayer), Nixxes (Next-Gen Console Ports), Feral Interactive (Mac/Linux Ports) and Square Visual Works (CGI) | Publisher: Square Enix | Release Date: March 5, 2013
Jacob, Mike, Moe and Special Guest Kevin Reaburn travel to the Dragon’s Triangle, reminisce about TressFX and miss spring game sales by two days.
You can now join our Discord server! Go to LeftBehindGame.Club and scroll down to the Discord section of the homepage! We launch our God of War (2005) episode on April 18th.
Players: Jacob McCourt (@JacobMcCourt), Michael Ruffolo (@ruffolom) and Moe Murtadi (@mmurtadi)
Special Guest: Kevin Reaburn (@ATribeCalledKev)
Website: LeftBehindGame.Club | Twitter: @LeftBehindClub
Show Notes (spoilers):
- 1:30 Jacob re-introduces the audience to Kevin Reaburn
- 2:40 Kevin starts with a big question: “which came first?” (correction: pre-Crystal Dynamics’ Tomb Raider games were developed by Core Design)
- 5:30 Our exposure to the Tomb Raider franchise
- 8:40 The writers of Tomb Raider: Rhianna Pratchett and Susan O’Connor
- 9:30: So many credits in this game!
- 10:05: The story of Tomb Raider (2013)
- 11:20 It’s just called Tomb Raider, y’all
- 13:00 What is the Definitive Edition? Also, TressFX
- 14:50 This isn’t the “old Lara”
- 18:35 The rest of the crew of the Endurance
- 19:10 Hunting and gathering
- 23:00 Survival Instinct
- 24:15 We debate about the best weapon in the game
- 25:20 This game is so violent and has much dirty rebar
- 28:40 A bear trap and a wolf attack
- 30:05 Tomb Raider’s world building
- 31:20 Jacob’s Dad Moment
- 33:20 Encounters with the supernatural
- 35:50 Lara’s First Kill (“kills a deer, kills a man and kills everyone”)
- 38:35 The game’s progression
- 40:05 Slow-mo time (aka the Steady Shot), fire arrows and headshot reticle
- 42:35 Combat puzzles & Tomb Raider vs. Uncharted
- 45:05 Comparing the game to Indiana Jones
- 46:15 Shantytown and difficulty
- 49:00 The landscape and the tombs
- 51:45 Smart AI
- 53:20 Under-developed side characters
- 54:20 Dual pistols are overrated
- 55:30 Issues with the next-gen ports and great checkpoints
- 59:55 The final confrontation
- 1:04:40 The Final Hours of Tomb Raider & Jason Graves’ soundtrack/”The Instrument”
- 1:06:25 Final thoughts
- 1:11:00 Kevin missed the Xbox Spring Sale by two days. We tell him about for the first time here.